Sunday, May 20, 2012

UPDATE! Bay Area Trip Part 3: The Ferry Building Marketplace & Delica

Located within the historical Ferry Building (1898), the building itself is a spectacle for its architecture.
Pepples Donuts, 100% organic & Vegan


Far West Fungi
The Ferry Building Marketplace houses great artisan foods where you can experience the culture and true tastes of San Francisco.  You can literally find everything here!  Shops range from specialty foods, fresh produce, cute cafes, and speciality shops and bookstores.  You can definitely find some great vegan eats here as well.  The famous Pepples Donuts, 100% organic and vegan, has a kiosk at the entrance of the Ferry Building at a very small stand.  Although I did not get a chance to try one, I could see that it was delicious with 20 flavors such as matcha green tea, chocolate coconut, and vanilla cookie.  Another store that caught my eye was Far West Fungi.  They specialize in cultivating fresh seasonal truffles, wild mushrooms, and other unique salts and oils.  They also have Mini-Farms where you can take home a box to grown your own mushrooms!  I really wanted to take one back but was unsure whether or not it was allowed on the plane.  Will definitely check into that next time ;)  They have amazing mushrooms that you can't find anywhere.


Thank you Liz for once again being my model ;)
After doing some research online to see what vegan lunch options were available at the Ferry Building cafes, I decided on a place called Delica.  This is a European style delicatessen that serves delicious Japanese eats.  This place is not all vegan but has great macroveg options and yummy choices for nonvegs (my friends decided on eating here too after looking at all the other choices in the Ferry Building).  They have salads, deli items, curries, noodles, desserts, as well as a sushi bar and easy grab and go items like bentos and onigiris!  Here's the reviews:


Hijiki & soybean salad (Hijiki, mixed dried soybeans, edamame, konnyaku, daikon, wild mizuna, fried tofu, kuko w/soysauce) and Spicy Burdock Root Salad (Spicy mix of braised burdock and konnyaku tossed w/thin slices of white onion, celery, julienne carrots, and wild mizuna).
The Macroveg: "These were the only vegan salad selections and they were delicious!  Get both!  They had a 12 grain rice option but I brought my own mixture of black and brown rice."


JO: "There was not a single item I didn’t like in my bento box [Bento box had these 2 vegan salads in it]. Everything was perfectly flavored, nothing too salty. It filled me up quite a bit too. Loved the clean flavors."
BREE: "These vegan salads had the right balance of sweet and savory flavors. I enjoyed the texture and color of the dishes. Even though I’m not vegan, I continue seeking out these types of dishes at other restaurants that I visit. They’re that good!"




The Macroveg:  "You know I'm a sucker for making sure I try to eat something pickled at every meal to help with digestion.  Will this was my little kick to my meal.  KIMCHEE DRINK!  Never heard of it and I loved it.  I think Bree and I were the only ones who liked it but I think it's because we're really use to the pickled flavor.  But I agree with Jo that a shot of this would be good too.  The four of us shared one bottle and that was good enough.  Could I have drank the whole thing at once?  Probably not.  But  it's excellent to have sips of it throughout the day to regenerate."


JO:  "Interesting drink! I wish I liked it more because I know kimchee is healthy. It was SO tart though, a bit too much to be a full drink. If I drank it in shot form it would have been better. That being said, I would probably consider buying it again if I could– just need to put it in my fridge to drink slowly."
BREE: "I really enjoyed the kimchee drink! It’s definitely an acquired taste, with the subtle tangy flavor… but if you’re already a kimchee fan, then you’ll enjoy this too."
 
What was our overall experience visiting the Ferry Building and Delica Restaurant?


The Macroveg: "A definite must-go for a SF trip.  Eating by the bay was a great way to take in the sites.  Also a great way to plan a ferry trip as well ;)  I loved Delica!  Definitely reminded me of MCafe de Chaya in SoCal but with less vegan selection.  It's a great place to stop by and refuel your inner macro"


JO:  "It was great! Very interesting stalls with unique items, but all were approachable and not too  out there. Most memorable- the stall where you could grow your own mushrooms. Really wish I could have packed that in my suitecase to go home!  Delica had very appealing health foods – none of it was boring, there were enough flavors, and I loved the Japanese touch to everything."
BREE: "I really enjoyed the visit to the Ferry Building. All the boutique shops had many interesting goods to offer, and I was pleasantly surprised with the variety of fresh, local and organic products. I don’t have a particular favorite—they were all very unique!  Delica has a great menu to choose from. I found the noodles and salads to be very tasty!"


The Ferry Building Marketplace
Ferry Building Marketplace
One Ferry Building
San Francisco, California 94111
(415) 983-8030
(415) 983-8010 FAX
info@ferrybuildingmarketplace.com



Delica

DELI HOURS
Mon - Fri: 10 AM – 6 PM
Sat: 9 AM – 6 PM
Sun: 11 AM – 5 PM

SUSHI BARMon - Sat: 4 PM - 9:30 PM
Sun: Closed

No comments:

Post a Comment