Sunday, July 15, 2012

Bending the rules for summer

Visit your local farmers market to see what's in season!
So many fruits and veggies fall into the "use sparingly or avoid" category because of its extremely yin qualities.  However, because it's local to some regions and in season right now, you can definitely experiment to try and see how your body reacts.  I admit, I did try to eat some of these earlier in the year but noticed that my body just did not seem to accept it.  But now that summer has started I decided to revisit them and I love it!  Key is to eat them cold, like in salads.  This will help cool down your body even more for summer.  I think it's so amazing how our body adapts to our surroundings.  So go ahead and read the list of forbidden fruits and veggies.  You'll see that they have vital nutrients that our body needs so take advantage of them now!

1) Avocados
This little green hulk is on a rampage right now.  It's everywhere!  Research shows that avocados significantly increases the absorption of lycopene and beta-carotene.  Yes, it's high in fat, but these heart healthy fats especially phytosterols helps inflammation.  I've been adding them on top of my salads.  I find that it gives it a really nice caesar dressing taste.  I usually just use half and store the other half in the fridge by squeezing some lemon on it (with the pit still in it) and warp it up in saran wrap.  It tends to last 1-2 days.  Another great way to use it is in brown rice sushi and wrapped in nori with some sprouts, carrots, and peppers.


2) Tomatoes
These have high antioxidant power, hence the deep red color, because of its lycopene concentration.  I haven't taken so kindly to tomatoes, however I find cherry tomatoes to be the big hit this summer and much better to digest.  I tend to have just a few in my salad which brings a nice red color to it ;)

3) Eggplant
Eggplants are really popular for summer grilling but I've pretty much stayed away from them.  You can go ahead and give it a try to see how you handle them, but I still get really heavy nightshade symptoms from it.  They are rich in phenolic antioxidant compounds, contains nasunin which has been shown to protect brain cell membranes from damage, and it's delicious.  If you're enjoying grilled eggplants right now with no problems then I envy you :P  Grilled eggplant brown rice sushi sounds pretty amazing right now.



4) Cucumber
The most cooling thing you can eat for summer.  Development of new anti-cancer drugs are currently looking into the use of cucumbers because of cucurbitacins A, B, C, D, and E all found in fresh cucumber.  It also has fighting power against cardiovascular disease because it contains lariciresinol, pinoresinol, and secoisolariciresinol.  I use sliced cucumbers in my salad, pickle them in some ume and brown rice vinegar, add it to brown rice stir fries, and of course make brown rice cucumber sushi.  Heck, use cucumber slices on your eyes while sun bathing!

5) Summer squash
These are one of the primary sources of beta-carotene and alpha-carotene, and one of the top three foods containing lutein, zeaxanthin, and beta-cryptoxanthin (three other health-supportive carotenoids). I do prefer winter squashes over summer ones, but when steamed they are quite refreshing.  Toss them with some cold stir fried soba noodles or slice them really thin to make some raw pasta.  These taste pretty darn good sprinkled with ume vinegar.  


6) Melons
Probably the most popular melon for summer is watermelon.  They have a high concentration of lycopene which helps fight against cardiovascular disease.  It's a very refreshing dessert to have, especially when pureed and chilled.  But I gravitate more towards honeydew and cantaloupes because they're less sweet for my taste.  Fruit salads with sliced up melons is great!



7) Peppers
A huge source of vitamin C, vitamin E, and six carotenoids (alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lycopene, lutein, cryptoxanthin and zeaxanthin)!  Great in stir fries, wrapped in nori, and grilled.  I love munching on them raw, especially red bell peppers.  You can also pickle them too which I have yet to try but imagine would be quite beautiful in color.  

Remember that everyone is different so go ahead and try out which of these works well with you.  You may find that what didn't work earlier in the year now just clicks for you as the heat rises.  Have fun!

5 comments:

  1. Hi, what does it mean when fruit is yin? and why did your body not react to fruit well? what's wrong with fruit? haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yin foods are characterized as those that are more uplifting, lighter, and cooling to the body, which is why we eat them more in summer when the weather is hot (yang) They mostly grown above the ground and are very expansive in form. When the weather is cooler (yin) then we want to eat more yang because those are foods that are more warming to the body and heavier, we cook a lot of stews during this time. So there is absolutely nothing wrong with fruit :)!!! It's just a guideline to eat it less when the weather is colder because your body may get too cool. So when my body did not react well when I ate fruit more earlier this year I head light headedness and very contracting digestion problems. Now that being said, another thing you have to take into consideration is what's local to where you're at. For instance, in Hawaii eating pineapple there is amazing, when I tried pineapple here in CA I started to get a little headache (perhaps too much yin for CA). Every person is different, you may find that eating fruits earlier in the year may not affect you at all which is great!

      Delete
  2. Your post is so useful and lovely. I'm in HCM Vietnam, mostly hot and there are fruits all year round, but i only take some avocados/pineapple..when in season. My body seems to adapt quite easy to them hee hee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vuniaty! You made my day :) I love your site, it's so beautiful. Is there a way that I can read it in English translation?

      Delete
  3. google translate can help you read, i guess ^^ thanks for visiting my site. looking foward for your new yummy post LOL

    ReplyDelete