Sunday, June 17, 2012

SF Trip Saved the Best for Last: Gracias Madre (Mission District)

Ladies and gentlemen I have saved the best for last!  Gracias Madre is my #1 choice for vegans to eat in SF.  This all vegan organic Mexican restaurant is a branch of Cafe Gratitude located in the Mission District.  I've heard so many great things about Gracias Madre and could not wait to try it out.  Yes, you can pretty much get Mexican cuisine in SoCal everywhere, but here you don't have to worry about the lard in the beans or resort to stale tortilla wraps with no cheese.  Because of these extra precautions I have not had Mexican food in forever!  Boy was I ready to indulge :)

I found the most macro selection on the menu to be the "Platillo de Legumbres," which comes with a choice of two season vegetables, arroz (local brown rice seasoned with cilantro and lemon), beans, and tortillas.  You could choose from the following seasonal veggies: Brocoli (seared broccoli w/chili and garlic), Nabos (roasted turnips w/garlic), Hongos (sautéed mushrooms w/garlic), Greens (seasonal greens sautéed with fresh garlic and chiles), Calabaza (roasted acorn squash), Rajas (sautéed poblano chiles w/onions), and Platanos (grilled plantains).  I chose the Greens, which was kale with garlic, chile, and pumpkin seeds, and the Brocoli.  Although I was a little bummed that I could not sub an extra side of rice for the tortillas, the dish was filling and I actually didn't eat the tortillas.  Quite frankly I don't think it needs it.  Everything on the plate was amazing!  The kale was tasty, the broccoli seared to perfection with a kick of spice, and the beans were smooth and very filling.  The rice cilantro and lemon brown rice was very different too, great for the summer weather.  Was the best meal!
  
I also needed a something pickled in there so I ordered a side of "Escabeche"- spicy pickled veggies.  This was sooooo good!  I recommend you order this on the side no matter what.  It was just the right amount of spice and really helped balance my dish.
Karly got the "Tacos" which although I did not get to try sounded amazing.  You can get a choice of three sides to fill the tacos with.  It’s a little funny being that I think it’s pretty similar to my dish since mine comes with tortillas and you can pretty much wrap up the same sides in that.  But I guess this saves you the time and there’s the added cashew cheez.  
Out came the "Mexican Wedding Cookies" and I was able to sneak a bite of both the cookie and their homemade dulce de leche ice cream.  Both were divine!  The cookie was nice and soft topped with powdered sugar.  I was afraid that it would just be overly crumbly but it wasn’t at all.  The ice cream was smooth and a great addition to the cookies.  I really think both together made it so special.  The other choice was coconut ice cream and that would have been delicious as well and would have totally changed the taste of the wedding cookies.  

So there you have it folks!  Gracias Madre is a definite MUST GO for your SF trip.  The best Mexican food I’ve tasted.  Bring your nonveg friends here and I’m sure they’d agree.  Location is a little off in a somewhat sketch neighborhood, with parking being quite a hassle.  Seating is communal style with a few long tables so it makes talking with your party kind of difficult sitting across a stranger.  But the service is fast and the workers friendly.  The atmosphere is fun and light and a great experience.
Here is the recipe for their amazing wedding cookies!

Mexican Wedding Cookies
8 oz of coconut oil
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 Tbl vanilla
1 cup pecans
2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
Beat together the oil and sugar until well combined.  Add the pecans, flour, salt, and vanilla and mix until fluffy and well mixed.
Scoop out the dough and flatten them to about 1/2 inch thick.  Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes then bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.  Rotate them and then bake another 10 minutes.
2211 Mission St.
San Francisco, CA 94110

Open Daily 11am-11pm
415-683-1346

No comments:

Post a Comment